Monday, January 20, 2014

The Great Gatsby

 The Great Gatsby takes place in the 1920s, the Jazz Age, is narrated by Nick Carroway, and focuses on the rich and mysterious Jay Gatsby, who is also Carroway's neighbor. Gatsby has a romantic history with the lovely Daisy Buchanan, the cousin of Carroway. They'd met years before, and Daisy, married now, isn't even sure if Gatsby is alive. 

  Sound boring? I thought so, too. I'd heard the book was brilliant, but the synopsis never appealed to me. (Mainly because the first thing they start with is how the book is Fitzgerald's best novel. It seemed to me as if they were trying too hard to sell the book). So I saw the movie, thought it was excellant. I bought the soundtrack, loved it. That's when I gave the book a chance, and OH MY GOSH. I was right to do so. (I'm almost always right ;) )

   Fitzgerald's writing flows smoothly. It feels as if you're not even reading, you're just gliding your eyes over the words. He has a fantastic way of giving you a clear picture without using that many words. It's incredible, really. Definitely one of the best books I've ever read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment